Thermal Cooking Adventures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tortilla wraps

Go down

Tortilla wraps Empty Tortilla wraps

Post by amyireland Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:47 am

I made these ones and they were great -
Tortillas
http://theroadtolovingmythermomix.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/thermomix-tortillas.html?m=1
335g bakers flour
170g water
35g olive oil
1 teaspoon of salt

Place everything into the tmx bowl.
Blitz on speed 6 just to slightly combine.
Lock lid and press interval speed for 2 minutes or until a smooth, ball like dough is formed. Add a little extra flour if needed.
Let it sit for 15 minutes.
Remove from bowl. Divide your dough into 8 -10 pieces.
Using a little flour to dust, roll out your dough into thin circles. My shape is a bit rustic. You want it only a few millimeters in thickness so they cook quickly and evenly.
I rolled all my 8-10 balls before commencing the cooking process.
Place a large frying pan on a medium heat. Once warm place a tortilla on it.
Once they start bubbling it's often a good time to flip.
You will only need to cook for a minute or so each side but keep an eye on them so they don't burn. You want them to be cooked but still flexible.
These can be frozen. Just thaw and warm before eating.
http://theroadtolovingmythermomix.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/thermomix-tortillas.html?m=1

amyireland

Back to top Go down

Tortilla wraps Empty Re: Tortilla wraps

Post by amyireland Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:50 am

I didn't have much success with this recipe but it could have been because it was my first attempt. Theres a youtube video to go with it and pictures - follow the link (lots of great recipes at Quirky Cooking).
http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com.au/2009/02/spelt-tortillas.html

1. Mix together in food processor or Thermomix until blended:
- 2 cups (300g) spelt flour (I use either white spelt flour mixed with about a third wholemeal, or stoneground spelt flour with the bran sifted out. If you use more than half wholemeal, they will be a bit crumbly.)
- 1 t sea salt
- 2 t baking powder (optional, but I think they're nicer with)

2. Add and process until completely mixed:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil

3. With processor/Thermomix running on medium speed (Thermomix speed 6), add water in a slow stream, until dough forms a soft ball. Let it process on med. speed for about 5 seconds more.
- approx. 1/2 cup water (may need more or less, depending on type of flour)

4. Poke dough with your finger - it shouldn't be overly sticky, but it should be nice and soft and stretchy (see picture) - if it's too hard, the tortillas will be thick and tough. (And if it's too sticky they'll be hard to roll.) Add more flour or water if you need to.

5. Heat up your pan - you can use an electric frypan, or a large iron skillet. It needs to be quite hot - between hot and medium hot. After you've cooked one you'll know whether it needs to be turned up or down. Don't put any oil in the pan.

6. While the pan's heating up, sprinkle some flour onto a silicon baking mat (or the counter-top) and pinch off a ball of dough, about 1 inch or so in diameter. Squish it into the flour, coating both sides, then roll out with rolling pin, flipping it over back and forth to keep it from sticking. (You'll use quite a bit of flour for rolling them out.) Don't worry if they're not pretty circles - rectangles are fine, all tastes the same. Roll it as thin as you can, only a couple of millimetres thick.

7. Dust it off a little if it's too floury, carefully peel off silicon mat, and place in hot, dry pan. While it starts to cook, begin the next one, reflouring the mat first... but keep an eye on the pan, turning the tortilla over once it starts to bubble. It should have little brown spots on it. It only takes a few seconds per side - if the heat's too low, they'll be hard and crunchy, so cook them hot and quick for nice soft ones. (I use a wooden spatula to turn them over, or just grab the edge with my fingers and flip them over.)

8. As the tortillas cook, put them on a dinner plate inside a plastic bag, and close it up after you put each one in. This keeps them soft and warm until you're ready to eat. (That is, if the kids don't eat them all as you make them!)

9. Spread with butter/dairy-free cream cheese/mayo/avocado, add fillings, roll up and enjoy!

amyireland

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum